[lbo-talk] the decline of men

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:17:29 PDT 2011

shag carpet bomb

> shag: It pleases me to no end...
>
> ^^^^^^^
> CB: How do u feel about being told u can't have multiple orgasms, u
> don't allow urself to feel certain emotions: vulnerability, fear,
> (often love because it makes them feel vulnerable). Anger is generally
> the only emotion it's ok for u; u think u have to do everything by
> urself, u r afraid to ask for help. If u do get help, u seldom
> acknowledge it, u pretend u know more than u actually do, u don't
> realize that making love to a woman is different than masturbation , u
> do not understand that relationships require a lot of attention and
> work, and many of u fear and hate women?
>
> Oh wait that wasn't u that was me ( giggles)

:)

did you think joanna was reinscribing oppression?

^^^^ CB: Sorry, remind me what reinscribing oppression is.

^^^^^

or was she describing the results of a society in which male gender norms are prescribed in the ways she was outlining.

^^^^ CB: Who did the studies on these norms ?

It's like when Ramona Prater on WCHB talk show said " Men don't apologize as much as women". When I called in , I asked her who says men don't apologize as much as women ?. She said , "women do" . ( giggles).

^^^^

she wasn't saying that that was the way things were, biologically determined as such, she was saying that, if she's observed a lot of that, it's because it's been socially constituted as such and shouldn't and doesn't have to be that way.

^^^^ CB: I didn't say they were biologically determined. I said I'm not like that. Society hasn't determined me to be that way. I mean I don't have much of a way of knowing what other men are doing on this score or most of those. For one thing they involve personal transactions in which only two people are present most of the time. You'd have to have a camera or tape recorder objectively recording who does what in these intimate settings. That never happens. One of the people present isn't quite objective as an informant /witness.

^^^^^^^

you are now going to tell me that you knew it all along, that you were only kidding (coz otherwise, it might make you look like you didn't understand and that you needed help understanding and that makes you feel vulnerable and afraid and you mustn't display those sentiments...."

^^^^^ CB: I now told you I didn't say it was biologically determined. I sort of interrogated whether its factual since my own experience ( with myself ) doesn't confirm it as true( smiles).

^^^^^^^

hmmm. i think I read one too many pages of Dave Eggers Heartbreaking work of staggering genius

^^^^^ CB: Don't worry. It'll wear off, honey.