[lbo-talk] The Music of Theodor Adorno...

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Apr 15 11:21:11 PDT 2011

On Apr 15, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I tried reading his essay on Schubert and couldn't make head nor tail of it.

I've read A's stuff on popular music ("Jazz") a few times, the modern music stuff once, and the other essays not-at-all. And for all of Jameson's talking about Adorno and music, J's complete lack of analytical examples suggests to me he's not very comfortable with music.

I'll pick it up if the book's in the library tomorrow.

You might enjoy this vignette of Adorno and Tudor at the 1961 Darmstadt Ferienkurse:

<http://vze26m98.net/lbotalk/Pages%20from%20beal-2006c.pdf>

Hope it's not too brief.

Charles