[lbo-talk] The Music of Theodor Adorno...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 15 11:46:07 PDT 2011

On Apr 15, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Charles Turner wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> I tried reading his essay on Schubert and couldn't make head nor tail of it.
>
> I've read A's stuff on popular music ("Jazz") a few times, the modern music stuff once, and the other essays not-at-all. And for all of Jameson's talking about Adorno and music, J's complete lack of analytical examples suggests to me he's not very comfortable with music.
>
> I'll pick it up if the book's in the library tomorrow.

It's in a journal - I can send you a PDF if you like.

> You might enjoy this vignette of Adorno and Tudor at the 1961 Darmstadt Ferienkurse:
>
> <http://vze26m98.net/lbotalk/Pages%20from%20beal-2006c.pdf>

Ha. I love that story. I love Adorno to pieces, but he sure could be an Old Fart, couldn't he?

I once said to some big Adorno jock that I was surprised that he liked Schubert, given how sweet he could be, and how little development goes on in his music. The Adorno guy pointed out that "liking" had nothing to do with it - it was all about ideas or something. Fits in with that Tudor anecdote.

Doug