[lbo-talk] Transition to capitalism in Cuba

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 14:06:43 PDT 2011

Julio wrote:

I have read the summaries of the commissions' deliberations published on Sunday. Nowhere is there a hint that they will be laying off people from the state sector and letting them deal with their personal situation on their own.

The layoff process began some time ago and was announced by the Cuban Worker's Federation back in Sept of last year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/14/us-cuba-reform-idUSTRE68D0FG20100914

(Reuters) - Cuba will lay off more than 500,000 state employees by March and expand private employment to give them work in the biggest shift to the private sector since the 1960s, the Cuban Workers Federation said on Monday. Eventually more than a million jobs would be cut and, due to efforts to increase efficiency in the state sector, there would be few new state sector openings, the federation said in a statement. "Our state cannot and should not continue maintaining companies, productive entities, services and budgeted sectors with bloated payrolls (and) losses that hurt the economy," the statement said. "Job options will be increased and broadened with new forms of non-state employment, among them leasing land, cooperatives and self-employment, absorbing hundreds of thousands of workers in the coming years," it said. Cheers, ken.

There may be no privatisation of large state companies as yet but there certainly is a move to a mixed system and encouragement of private enterprise. Foreign capital is obviously flowing in to the tourist industry as well.

.

I have read the economic and social policy guidelines issued by the party, and followed the subsequent debates in Cuba to the extent possible. I am in touch with a fair number of rank and file Cubans from all walks of life, some of whom are not communist. I have watched on the Internet each of the latest speeches given by Raúl, including the central report on Saturday. I have read the summaries of the commissions' deliberations published on Sunday. Nowhere is there a hint that they will be laying off people from the state sector lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk