[lbo-talk] the decline of men

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Apr 20 11:34:39 PDT 2011

On 4/14/2011 7:34 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
> But rest
> assured, I'm on the pedestal when my boss naturally selects me to make
> sure we provide snacks for the next team building exercise. Also, uh, I
> perch upon and enjoy the pedestal when one of the other guys on my team
> said that, by remembering birthdays, I was acting like a woman which
> wasn't such a good idea because that would always make me material for,
> secretary, not lead engineer or a manager or anything. oh, and I feel
> especially protected when the director of IT regularly introduces
> himself to a table of people eating together by scanning the table,
> noting that I'm the only woman, and then loudly saying while looking
> directly at me, "Ladies...." in order to be so funny ha ha!

I find this stuff pretty shocking. You are at a smaller company, right?

Not that larger companies are perfect and there still isn't sexism, but nothing like that happens where I work.

> And, of
> course, we have it so much easier, also, when men 35 and younger tell
> you that they can't attend a meeting or go on a group ride because they
> have to babysit their kids. no. really. The pedestal is fucking awesome.

I don't understand this part. Is it the use of the word "babysit" in reference to their own kids? I work with guys whose partners also work outside of the home and we work around the schedules of both sexes when they share the duties of seeing the kids off/picking them up from school.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123