[lbo-talk] John McCain Lauds Anti-Gadhafi Force During Libya Visit

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 22 07:59:01 PDT 2011

On Apr 22, 2011, at 10:50 AM, fernando cassia wrote:

> "They are my heroes," McCain said of the rebels as he walked out of a Benghazi hotel. A few Libyans waved American flags as his vehicle drove past.
>
> McCain, The top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, is the highest level American official to visit the rebel-held east, giving a boost to the anti-Gadhafi forces. Details of the trip were shrouded in secrecy due to heightened security in a country fiercely divided by the two-month-old anti-Gadhafi rebellion.
>
> http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/22/john-mccain-lauds-anti-gadhafi-force-during-libya-visit/

Wow, how times change! In less than two years!!

http://articles.boston.com/2009-08-15/news/29254041_1_libya-john-mccain-military-equipment

McCain says Libya may get US goods August 15, 2009|Associated Press

TRIPOLI, Libya - A delegation of US senators led by John McCain met with Libya's leader yesterday to discuss the possible delivery of nonlethal defense equipment. The visit and Washington's offer of military equipment was another sign of the improving ties between the former longtime adversaries.

"We discussed the possibility of moving ahead with the provision of nonlethal defense equipment to the government of Libya,'' McCain said during a press conference. He gave no details on the kind of military equipment Washington is offering.