[lbo-talk] 10 charts...

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:29:48 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:23 PM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > There are more people and more organizations devoted to defending animals
> than farm workers, right?
> >

> Depends on what you call "defending". I nominally defend both, mostly
> through righteous donation of keystrokes. Farm workers have a terrible life,
> and one cannot equate these things (personally, perhaps because I am
> speceisist after all, I put their welfare above that of animals), but at the
> same time I don't think it's possible to make light of the 7+ billion
> animals that live a short, miserable life ending in a brutal painful death
> to end up on plates half of which are discarded to garbage.
>
> -- ravi
>
> You are exactly right, it is an outrage and about 25% of why I gave up
mammals and birds, the other 75% went to working conditions in slaughterhouses/meat prep, the insane number of calories misallocated to animal feed and the worldwide social and ecological devastation that is the beef industry. But, as I said, for me, each of these are discrete from meat consumption per se.