[lbo-talk] the decline of men

John Wesley godisamethodist at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 13:38:05 PDT 2011

Hi Shag,

Yes, I may be a "fuckwit", but I do firmly believe that the .59/$1. ratio is generally used to convey the implication that this inequity applies across the board in the workforce.

At a local campus, to commemorate Mar. 8, I've seen various student groups holding bake sales where "XY"'s pay $1. for an item, while the "XX"'s pay only $.50 !  The implication is quite obvious, I believe.

That would be quite a bargain for women radiologists (we all know that most MD's are notorious cheapskates, irrespective of gender!)

How about using as a ratio the income of a woman radiology tech. (maybe 40K annually) to that of a women radiologist (as much as 600-800K)? That is really the critical type of inequity which must be addressed and the one that explains why we'll probably never have universal single-payer health coverage in the "land of the free" (lol)

Fuckwit

________________________________ From: shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, April 21, 2011 5:21:48 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the decline of men

?

oh ferfucksake. in the words of Tabatha, what a fuckwit.

The wage disparity is the result of the fact that nearly 80 of women are concentrated in secretarial/clerical, nursing, and teaching jobs whereas men are not nearly so concentrated in occupational groups. And the occupations to which women tend to be confined are systematically paid less than stereotypically "male" jobs. early 00s numbers, so maybe things have changed a bit. The .59ct to the dollar business has not, for a long time, meant that women, job for job, got paid .59 when a man got paid a buck. @@