[lbo-talk] Overrated writers

John Wesley godisamethodist at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 19:57:26 PDT 2011

Certainly, I'd include Ayn Rand under this category, and definitely Bob Avakian (lol) too!

Mike G.

________________________________ From: "123hop at comcast.net" <123hop at comcast.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, April 22, 2011 5:53:25 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Overrated writers

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net>

Oh and second the motion about Naipaul. Ugh! ---------

Yeah, I tried to read him but couldn't. It's interesting though that the West slobbers all over this constipated scribbler, but ignores R.K. Narayan, one of the great writers of the 20th century. The Chekhov of India if you will.

You can't even get his books here easily. Someone on lbo wrote a friend in India who sent me all his books. Oh, the ecstasy of it!!!

I suspect the reason Naipaul is preferred to Narayan is because Naipaul worries about the West whereas Narayan can't even be bothered to mention it.

And worse than that, fucking Naipaul won the fucking Nobel.

Ugh,