[lbo-talk] Patients Are Not Consumers

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Apr 24 11:48:15 PDT 2011

actually, the terminology took root in the late 70s/early 80s with new managerial ideologies. The idea was, if your IT department which creates software for the HR department, treated the HR department as a customer, things would be more efficient. In other words, instead of HR saying "we need new new hire intake management system, make one for us" and then not having to "pay" for the service, if there were charge backs, etc. etc. and HR had to pay for the software, then they wouldn't be efftards about requirements, scope creep etc.

Also figured that, seeing other departments as customers and using a set of _measurements_ that coule be employed to gauge the quality of that service would improve quality - in the lexicon of total quality management and continuous quality improvement.

This language was dominant in business ideology through out the eighties such that, by the early nineties, it had largely infected every university system where, increasingly, professors were told to see students as customers, etc. (there was a small cottage industry devoted to publishing professorial gripes about these developments).

Finally, simply trace the change in fucking name tags at chain stores. Started in the mid-80s as well. Clerks became associates, etc. etc. The change in terminology came about for the same reason: new managerial ideologies associated with TQM/CQI.