[lbo-talk] "Natural Capitalism"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 29 17:46:59 PDT 2011

Wow, this sounds like something to kick around the block a few times. Alex Cockburn once described Paul Hawken as a purveyor of teak-handled mulchers for the better sorts. Smith & Hawken <http://www.smithandhawken.com/> used to be an upscale brand (thus Cockburn's epithet), but they now seem to be vending through Target.

> Reinvest in natural capital. Capital begets more capital; a company that
> depletes its own capital is eroding the basis of its future prosperity.
> Pressures on business to restore, sustain, and expand natural capital are
> mounting as human needs expand, the costs of deteriorating ecosystems rise, and
> the environmental awareness of consumers increases. Fortunately, these pressures
> all create business opportunity.

You could write a book on the delusions packed into this little paragraph, couldn't you?

Doug