[lbo-talk] The myth of Obama blunders and weakness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 1 17:23:18 PDT 2011

On 8/1/2011 1:37 PM, SA wrote: On 8/1/2011 2:11 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

I am absolutely convinced that voting for Obama, and calling people to vote for Obama, was the right thing to do in 2008. It wasn't -- I argued then -- about Obama personally, but about disenfranchised sectors of the working people -- Blacks and Hispanics, the youth, in the U.S. and abroad -- who, as anybody with eyes could see, felt the fervent need to have a Black man in the White House, and got deeply vested in the campaign. It wasn't about a self-infatuated individual making it big time, but about groups of people crushed by social order who needed to expand the scope of what they deemed possible.

Have you considered the idea that expanding the sense of the possible by putting a (neoliberal) black man in the WH became a substitute for -- rather than a spur to -- a more radical expansion of the sense of the possible?

------

This is sort of funny. The world would be exactly the same, if all the radicals who supported or all the radical who opposed Obama had spent their time rooting for some baseball team instead of playing politics. No one was listening!

There has never been a presidential election in which the opinions or the activity of radicals made the least difference in the outcome. There never will be. But if it entertains you I guess you can say it adds to the total of human happiness.

Carrol