[lbo-talk] Administrivia ...

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Aug 2 19:18:23 PDT 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
> Well, that's not exactly what I said.

Sorry, I was summarising, didn’t mean to put the wrong words in your mouth.

> I just said it doesn't really matter
> that much to me. And that's connected to the question of folders, and if I
> really wanted folders, then, yes, I would hate gmail. But I don't. I'm the
> sort for whom the distinction between the inbox and other folders is not
> very meaningful. And I think lots of people don't miss folders. Filing my
> email is just another onerous task.

Sure, but Gmail’s IMAP strangeness extends to folders that even such people want, such as Trash, Sent, Junk/Spam, Drafts. I wrote a blog post about it, if you really want to hear me whine further (http://wp.me/pjSdh-mE). Yes, if you never use IMAP then that’s not a worry.

> And for the record, I used to use PINE, too. :-) And Eudora after that. But
> it's been a long time now.

Pine, Eudora, Mush,… new fangled silliness, I say! :-) In my day, if we weren’t using mail/mailx, we used MH or elm (no, not Rmail you Emacs freaks). You know, there’s one GUI mail app from the 90s that was really sweet and arguably ahead of it’s time. It was called Zmail (I think it was bought and killed by NCD). Had a lot of neat features (if you can stand the Motif widgetry).

—ravi