[lbo-talk] Administrivia ...

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Aug 3 04:03:45 PDT 2011

At 11:22 PM 8/2/2011, Mike Beggs wrote:

>I use Gmail and I have never had this problem in the first place. My
>posts always appear to me in their proper place in the threads. I
>don't know why that doesn't happen for you guys.
>
>I like Gmail for a few reasons - the threading for one. Labels seem
>better than folders to me because you can use them as folders anyway,
>but also file things in more than one place, under 'Friends' and
>'Research' for example. I use the filters in a lot of ways, e.g. to
>automatically reroute LBO-Talk messages to a separate folder so they
>don't show up in my regular inbox. I'm also a sucker for features like
>the integrated tasklist, the Priority Inbox etc. IMAP is its biggest
>problem; I wish I could use Gmail to access my work Outlook email.
>
>I looked into a mail server once but it looks like way more hassle
>than it's worth, with the Scylla and Charybdis of spam and spam
>filters.
>
>Mike

I wonder if it's the difference between running richtext/HTML v plain text?

1. labels. yes, i can see the advantages but i've been a folder chick for a long time and there are some things, in terms of my productivity, that I just won't change because the other way works for me.

2. i find it fuckall annoying that i have to look to see full headers and full email addresses.

3. i dislike the lack of control. If I want to just read posts from Mike one day, I have to wade through the thread. I turn off threading but I can't sort according to posts by mike. Oh, I can search on mike's email address. Alrighty. But then I get personal maile from mike and lbo mail. Oh, search on lbo-talk and mike's address.

At this point I'm irritated since I would have Mike's mail sorted by unread mail sent and filtered into my lbo folder. (folders take no work b/c filters do the work)

4. i fucking have to have my calendar open on a separate web page to get my calendar reminders. wtf.

5. seriously, i HAVE to be connected to do anything? FTN. oh i know it shouldn't matter in a few years but godamn....

6. i hate that google suppresses quoted text. I hate that google and every other mailer out there has turned this into a world of top posting dingleberry generating monkeeeeeees!

HAND. HTH. MORNING!!!