[lbo-talk] Administrivia ...

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:05:50 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it's the difference between running richtext/HTML v plain text?
>
> 1. labels. yes, i can see the advantages but i've been a folder chick for a
> long time and there are some things, in terms of my productivity, that I
> just won't change because the other way works for me.

I guess there is just no accounting for taste in these matters! Actually you and Ravi make some good points, esp. about the top-posting. It's even more annoying using the Android Gmail app - it seems to be impossible to do anything with quotes except top post, so I basically can't use it for list posts.

> 3. i dislike the lack of control. If I want to just read posts from Mike one
> day, I have to wade through the thread. I turn off threading but I can't
> sort according to posts by mike. Oh, I can search on mike's email address.
> Alrighty. But then I get personal maile from mike and lbo mail. Oh, search
> on lbo-talk and mike's address.
>
> At this point I'm irritated since I would have Mike's mail sorted by unread
> mail sent and filtered into my lbo folder. (folders take no work b/c filters
> do the work)

See with this one maybe we just need the Aaron Swartz solution - isn't he the guy that made the blog of Doug's posts to the list a few years ago, so people could just read Doug and not have to bother with the rest of us losers?

> 5. seriously, i HAVE to be connected to do anything? FTN. oh i know it
> shouldn't matter in a few years but godamn....

Actually, there's an app for that. You can download your gmail and work offline.

Mike