[lbo-talk] Cui malo?

Maria Gilmore indigo at ymail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:07:34 PDT 2011

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 16:22:22 -0400, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> I read the Keith Richards memoir as I was recovering from my hip
> replacement. The memoir is well written and shows him to be a pretty
> decent guy. But mostly it shows that if you spend most of your life
> getting high, looking for drugs, or avoiding the cops, it leaves you
> very little else to do or write about.

Which reminds me of Billy Bragg on DN a couple days ago, who commented on Amy Winehouse's death by quoting Richards' bandmate Charlie Watts. On the Stones' 25th anniversary, Watts had been asked what it had been like to be a Rolling Stone all those years. He said, "It's been about 5 years of playing the drums, and about 20 years standing around waiting to play the drums." So with all that down time, which Bragg was saying was characteristic of a performer's worklife, apparently Keith decided to devote himself to getting high, looking for drugs, and avoiding the cops. Only for some reason he's managed not to wind up dead like Winehouse. Think I'll pick up the Richards memoir.

Maria