[lbo-talk] stupid and disgusting

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Aug 4 15:52:50 PDT 2011

I'm not really sure I understand what is at stake in this convo, but what I find a challenge to navigate is this: At work, someone will say, "This is just so stupid. They are acting like children. Grow up and get out of kindergarten. They're all freakin' five year olds."

They were referring, of course, to all politicians during this recent fiasco.

What am I supposed to do with that? It is a classic response of someone who calls themselves "independent". And it's the most bullshit of all ways to understand what was going on. Because, at root, their analysis is one in which individual politicians are the problem and if we could just get good ones in there, things would all be better.

It's like the sentiment that, if we could just force out the incumbents constantly, we wouldn't get the policies we'd get. Instead, we'd ostensibly get "good government" or whatever else it is that the speaker wants - be it less government or more government or good government. Again, though, the issue is framed such that it's individual politicians who don't have to moral rectitude to avoid corruption.

I never challenge this view or anything. It's one I have to listen to and put up with among people because it is the common sense way to think about politics in the u.s. But it creeps me out to have to listen to it, grit my teeth and say nothing.

Just a general sidenote if carrol is reading: I'd guess that most people here use 'stupid' to mean ignorant. I mean, there are probably some people here who think there's some sort of natural intelligence or something but I think most people use it to mean ignorant - as in systematically distorted understanding of the world - a systemically fucked up class society. dunno. but a hunch.

shag