[lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:19:04 PDT 2011

Alan: "Dems DON'T represent a progressive alternative. "

[WS:] I never believed that O represent a progressive alternative. I always considered him a center right politician. If he appear "progressive it is only because of the context - the US is a country with a solid conservative, pro-business majority.

Alan: " that'd mean ignoring or forgetting or just
> not thinking broadly enough to engage the long history and high rate of
> failed recalls everywhere and always…"

[WS:] Good point. Granted, results of recall elections may be inconclusive. But then how do you explain the fact that conservative, or even rabidly right wing politicians have been winning US elections in numbers that center-left, let alone progressives (by which I mean anything left of the center) can not even dream of.

In short - while I agree with you and others that O and Dems are not progressive, I do not understand why you bash them for that. They are merely a product of the US electoral system and preferences of the majority of the US population.

Wojtek