[lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Thu Aug 11 08:05:53 PDT 2011

Shouldn't we remember that the recall elections were a net gain for the Democrats? All of the recall elections against Republicans were in traditionally strong Republican districts, which had voted for Walker. Two of the six were taken now by Democrats. That is a slight shift in voter trends in areas where you wouldn't expect it. The Dems were stuck running recall elections ONLY in the small number of legislatures that were up for Recall (had been in office more than a year since last elections). And knowing Darling's district intimately, it is a hugely granular territory that includes extremely liberal Shorewood and very conservative areas like Washington Co. and Ozaukee. She won by large numbers in Milwaukee, but that was widdled away by the smaller votes in the conservative districts. But Pasch did win by a few percentage points in wealthy areas like Fox Point and Bayside also. I would surmise that if the Republicans hadn't put up fake Dems in a primary to stall the general election for a month and then use that month to really push getting out the conservative vote and pump the airways with pro-Darling lies, it wouldn't have turned out the way it did for Darling.

>From what I have seen, while the two Dems up for Recall have to be vigilant
next week in the recall elections, they will most likely keep their seats.

Bryan

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of // ravi Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 08:52 To: LBO List Subject: [lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Some background: Democrats needed to retain all 3 of their Senate seats under recall and win 3 of 6 GOP recall seats to take control of the Senate (the recalls were in response to Gov Walker's successful attempt to smash collective bargaining). Things aren't looking too good on that front:

http://l.ravi.be/r0cxr2

Democrats have retained one of their seats in an election held last week. Two more are coming up next week. Of the six GOP, three have now been called for the incumbents. Which means Dems will need to win all three remaining ones, all of which are too close to call at this point.

What all this says about the state of US and Wisconsin politics and the mood of the electorate I leave to you to inform me on,

-ravi