[lbo-talk] The criminalization of the poor

Mark DeLucas mkdelucas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:25:38 PDT 2011

So have I. And once I quite violently plowed a pedestrian as he crossed the street, *against the red*. But I didn't begrudge him, because as a pedestrian, and as a biker, I too come under the inexorable urge to "go" -- whatever the light. And that I think explains the commons sense -- and by that I mean, there's few people who don't hold to it -- that a bike isn't a car, and that if there's nothing oncoming, then a biker should be free to transgress the light. I'm writing self-interestedly, but I think the sensible thing to do would be to judge these things on a case by case basis -- did the biker yield to the cars or pedestrians in his way? Did he put lives at risk? -- rather than enforce the law blindly. Either that or outlaw bicycle messaging.