[lbo-talk] The criminalization of the poor

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Aug 11 09:26:56 PDT 2011

Wojtek asks:

> Towing is "regulated" i.e. permitted by local ordinances,
> which are relatively easy to change if enough people are
> annoyed by them. Afaik, many people have been victimized
> by the towing racket, so I wonder why there are no efforts
> to ban or curb this practice?

Maybe (because you don't drive?) you think that the "towing racket" is something that's other than police activity. Unless you're parked on (someone else's) private property, you don't get towed unless the police direct a tow company to tow your car. And they do it because the car is breaking a law. At that point, basically your car has "been arrested" ...

So the question I think you're asking is: why hasn't anyone worked to repeal the arrest laws?

Good luck on that one; let us know how it goes.

But just for fun: what would you replace it with?

In Joanna's case, imagine that a cop is standing by her car. He grabs a bullhorn and says: will the owner of this Volvo please get out here and move this car. This car is parked illegally.

How long should he wait? What should he do when she doesn't arrive?

/jordan