[lbo-talk] Bad Bicycling

Maria Gilmore indigo at ymail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:36:19 PDT 2011

Since bicyclists are so vulnerable in traffic, it's always been a mystery to me why so many of them flout traffic laws. What I *really* hate is people who ride their bikes on the sidewalk, truly endangering anyone who can't get out of their way fast enough, like kids and old people; besides, as a ped, why should I have to scurry out of the way of some idiot on a bike? By law, bike riders are supposed to stick to the roads.

I don't want to be insensitive to the perils of bike riding in traffic; like I said, cyclists are extremely vulnerable and more than a few motorists are as idiotic regarding bikers as some bikers are about peds. I recognize the good things about cycling, and there are many. But ignoring traffic laws is *not* the way to go, it only makes matters worse.

Maria