[lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:00:34 PDT 2011

Maria: "Conservatives are presented with candidates who appear to stand for what they, the voters, really believe in. For whatever reason, they are in the market for what the right wing candidate is selling, and they know the political tide is going their way. Anyone politically left of center in today's US is, if not totally burnt out, very close. I think Obama has been a real stake thru the heart of the "left" of the Democratic Party. Even liberals see no one genuinely championing their cause, and people further left have written electoral politics off...for now."

[WS:] All of it is true. There is no party in the US that represents those left of the center. I do not think that there has ever been such a party, at least since World War 2. What irritates me is the left-of-the center responses to that situation. They either imagine, like most liberals, that this is merely a personal preference of individual politicians, and it can be changed by voting in the progressively minded people, or - like Carrol et al. - blame Democrats for this state of affairs. This strikes me as quite foolish, especially for people who should have known better. It is like going to a hardware store and kvetching that they do not sell milk there.

All I see is people either working within the system hoping to get different results or kvetching that the system does not give the results they want. There does not seem to be much of an effort to actually change the electoral system, which is the main culprit here (smashing windows and setting things afire every now and then does not constitute such an effort.)

Wojtek