[lbo-talk] Stock Markets vs the Real Economy

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Thu Aug 11 12:33:31 PDT 2011

> Put away the gin already.
>
> It's not nothing, but it's not a lot either.
>
> http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html
>
> You can find the same for Japan and other countries with the google.
>
> Of course the stats carry all the pitfalls of methodological nationalism
> at a time when economists are slowly getting better at understanding
> intrafirm trade flows.
>
> On second thought, it's still early; have another drink and relax!

Thank you. It's morning, the gin is gone. I think I've figure it out. It's a west coast versus east coast differential. The west coast is highly impacted by goods from asia and the rest of the county isn`t with the east coast close to little and in the gross averages that the SF Fed and GDP work with the regional effect is erased.

Then we can look at the impact of goods from the EU on the east coast which must be high while out here EU goods are rare and appear over priced like their wine. That is almost entirely the cost of transportation which is soaring because of fuel costs.

Because of US demographics these regional trade impacts make it appear that Asia means less than Europe. Or something like that.

CG