[lbo-talk] riots of the '60's

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:10:51 PDT 2011

^^^^^^^ CB: I'd like to see your research, if you please. We just had a program reviewing 1967 Detroit, though not very scholarly. Did you use the Kerner Commission Report ?

FM: I don't really have anything to show you.  I did go through the Kerner Commission Report which as I remember laid out reports of different affected cities.  I had a lot of questions I wanted answers for which were probably beyond my skill as a researcher.  Some of the questions were: did the riots impact the growth of the prison industrial complex?  How did the building of freeway infrastructures for cities change after the riots?  Did the riots spur the growth of "mirror cities" for white populations?  What were the longterm effects of the riots on urban communities of color. And I was also interested in the legacy of the riots in the context of the gentrification of New York City under Mayor Giuliani and the militarization of the NYPD.  But as I said, I found almost nothing written about any of these issues.