[lbo-talk] The criminalization of the poor

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu Aug 11 16:27:21 PDT 2011

At 5:56 PM +0000 11/8/11, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

>Jordan:
>
>In Joanna's case, imagine that a cop is standing by her car. He grabs a
>bullhorn and says: will the owner of this Volvo please get out here and
>move this car. This car is parked illegally.
>
>-------
>The car was not parked illegally.

But clearly that was what you were accused of. Did you consider going to court and contesting the charge? What were the factors which decided you against that course?

In my experience, the police are so inexperienced at prosecuting traffic offenses, they don't really know what to do if someone turns up in court and pleads not guilty. My sister once got a ticket for parking facing the wrong way outside her own house. Instead of paying the fine, she turned up in court many months later, with a look of fierce determination on her face. As you might expect, the prosecuting cop was totally unprepared for this turn of events and abandoned the prosecution without a fight.

Perhaps it is different when the police take to holding your car to ransom, while you wait months for a court hearing? Though I would say it is something you need to consider. I would definitely do it, but then I'm obsessive compulsive. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas