[lbo-talk] riots in England

Chris Brooke cb632 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 12 09:57:21 PDT 2011

On 12/08/2011 17:25, "Wendy Lyon" <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in Italy at the moment and BBC World is the only TV channel in my hotel
> room that I can understand. It's been like watching Fox all week - absolute
> unmitigated right wing dross.

The BBC has been curiously (and, I think, uncharacteristically) poor in its coverage of the riots. Sky News has been much better at sending its journalists into places where disturbances are going on and reporting directly from the scene, and BBC interviewers and panellists have been awful.

The low point is widely reckoned to be this interview with Darcus Howe, or, as the interviewer calls him, "Marcus Dowe":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_XZ2ttCMo

Chris