[lbo-talk] Jodi Dean on The Communist Horizon

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:17:56 PDT 2011

I just watched the presentation and I have a great affinity with her talk of organization, as well. Her yearnings for a "capital P" party are also ones that I've echoed in the same terms in my Zapatista piece and elsewhere. All fairly uncontroversial points, I would think, among Marxists.

But I think Joanna's spot on in her assessment here. I also get the sense that Dean's understanding of "democracy" is built in the same terms as Badiou's, which is unfortunate.

I've been in some contact with Jodi and I plan to write something up on the longer version of her lecture notes soon.