[lbo-talk] Jodi Dean on The Communist Horizon

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 12 11:31:10 PDT 2011

On 8/12/2011 12:17 PM, Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:

> But I think Joanna's spot on in her assessment here. I also get the sense
> that Dean's understanding of "democracy" is built in the same terms as
> Badiou's, which is unfortunate.

Why should a discussion of anti-capitalist oganization be cluttered with refernces to "the Dems"? It's as though a meeting of Eisenhower's staff to plan the Normandy invasion would get side-tracked into a discussion of how the German Army conducted its mess halls. That was one of the thngs that bothered me about Dean's views: she clutters them with empty talk about an empty organization. (The DP & RP are not membership parties.) And 'criticizing the DP's concept of democracy is irrelevant to any possible discussion of anything. It's meaningless.

Carrol