[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Aug 17 08:21:00 PDT 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, John Gulick wrote:

> Last time I checked Deng and Eisenhower were dead. The initial premise
> was "living" political figure of utmost world-historical significance.

You're quite right. But Seth compared him to Lenin and Luther, so that spread the net pretty far. And politically he died 20 years ago. He had four years of significance and then pfft. (Which is another reason I consider him eminently replaceable.). So I thought of it more as "world historical figures of the same significance whose lives overlapped with mine so that I can impress little kids." Who of course however are much more impressed that I saw the Clash play live on a small stage.

Michael