[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Aug 17 08:36:21 PDT 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, John Gulick wrote:
>
>> Last time I checked Deng and Eisenhower were dead. The initial
>> premise was "living" political figure of utmost world-historical
>> significance.
>
> You're quite right.

No he's not. The initial premise was that we were living in the Gorbachev era: "Thinking about history in the longue duree, I'm always amazed to
>> realize that I live in the same era as Gorbachev. For good or ill,
>> he's by far the most historically consequential individual alive."

As I wrote: "He may be alive, but his era is long dead.
> Deng Xiaoping may be dead, but its *his* era we're living in now."

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"