[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:56:51 PDT 2011

On 8/17/2011 10:03 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Shane is right about Deng.

Okay, Deng I grant.

> Another is Eisenhower.

Eisenhower? We're talking about people who were alive in my time! Besides...

> Without him, no NATO, no EU.

Hm? No NATO, no EU if Adlai Stevenson had been elected?

> The thing about Gorbachev is that he came at the end of line of reform
> leaders that the central committee was throwing up.

Wha??! Which ones??!

> It's very easy to believe that if it wasn't him, it would have been
> the next or the next, and that the committee had primed themselves to
> follow him before he led.

I've never heard this theory before!

> he was washed away in history's flood.

Well yeah, a flood he started, and that washed away the Soviet world.

I think we have a disagreement about how Communism collapsed.

SA