[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Aug 17 17:51:45 PDT 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, SA wrote:

> Eisenhower? We're talking about people who were alive in my time! Besides...
>
>> Without him, no NATO, no EU.
>
> Hm? No NATO, no EU if Adlai Stevenson had been elected?

The first (and crucial) NATO and EU stuff he set up as a peacetime general, just after WWII. He was the most popular man on the planet for the next few years and that was an indispensable part of his power.

This is part of why the military elite plays gets what now seems now such a disproportionate role in C. Wright Mills' _Power Elite_. He was thinking of Eisenhower and Marshall.

Michael