[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 20:53:31 PDT 2011

On 8/17/2011 11:03 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, SA wrote:
>
>>> In that case, we live in the era of Bush.
>>
>> I take your point, but do you really think the Iraq invasion is of
>> the same magnitude as the collapse of Communism?
>
> It may take longer, but with that and his other policies, he may have
> fatally weakened the US empire and ruling class unintentionally. That
> would be even more consequential than fatally weakening the Soviet
> empire and ruling class unintentionally.

It's true that if someday the US empire collapses it would be (possibly) as consequential as the collapse of Communism. But even if it does happen, I doubt Bush can be held individually responsible to anything like the extent to which Gorbachev was individually responsible for the collapse of Communism.

Although, to change the subject somewhat, I'm not sure I really understand what "the collapse of the US empire" would mean. Would Washington would be forced to tolerate leftist leaders in South America? Would it be unable to prevent friendly Arab dictators from being overthrown? Oh wait...

SA