[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Aug 18 10:20:11 PDT 2011

On Aug 18, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> In Die Alternative, Rudolf Bahro mocked Lenin's initiative to oversee
> the bureaucracy by means of the Workers' and Peasants' Inspection. It
> was -- Bahro wrote -- as if using Satan to fight the devil.

But it was precisely Lenin who wrote that there was no worse, more party-bureaucratic, body than the Stalin-controlled Workers and Peasants Inspection. It was Lenin who recognized the need for a political initiative against the bureaucratization that by 1922 was strangling the Party, and moreover realized and declared explicitly that the prerequisite for such an initiative was the political destruction of Stalin and his principal henchmen, Djerzhinsky and Ordjonikhidze. For Stalin and stalinism to emerge required both Lenin's second stroke and Trotsky's pusillanimous acceptance of what Lenin had warned against--a "rotten compromise" that would leave Stalin in place.

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"