[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 11:07:05 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julio Huato" <juliohuato at gmail.com>

My impression (which I admit, is not based on any profound study of the subject) is that Gorbachev neglected his duties as a political organizer, that he got a bit too in love with himself as a result of Western adulation, that he thought his charisma and sophistication would do the job for him, that he underestimated those lacking his worldliness. After what happened to Trotsky in the late 1920s, he should have known better.

Oh, god, Julio. Please don't compare Gorbachev to Trotsky.

I mean, Gorbachev was doing commercials after he got ousted (furs or watches I forget). Trotsky was writing "History of the Russian Revo," one of the greatest history books ever written. Barbara Tuchman compared him to Thucydides. Would you compare Gorbachev to Thucydides? Or anyone of any stature?

Joanna