[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

Joanne Landy joanne.landy at igc.org
Thu Aug 18 19:36:06 PDT 2011

At 07:23 PM 8/18/2011 -0700, you wrote:
>At 07:13 PM 8/18/2011, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
>>What it demonstrates is the new way of being a racist,
>
>I can go along with that, but only so far, because I agree that boiling
>hacks like Coburn down to racism misses bigger issues. Like that brain
>dead pols like him are running things.

Nobody in their right mind would boil hacks like Coburn down to racism alone, but racism is part of the toxic mix of much of today's militant conservatism. And it's not less important than "bigger issues."

>>because basically what he's saying is that Obama would have never gotten
>>where he's gotten due to merit, but due to special rules and dispensations.
>
>Thanks, I got that. But whether Coburn himself believes what he's saying
>is another question.

What difference does it make whether he believes it? What matters is that in the present atmosphere he feels he can say it.