[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 18 22:03:37 PDT 2011

>1. Schools are currently as segregated as they were in the early sixties.
>
>2. Minorities have been disenfranchised through mass incarcertaion
>that guarantees the loss of voting rights in many states.
>
>3. The re-definition of lynching as law and order. The exploding
>prison population. Perhaps the only thing that has moved from the
>private to the public realm has been lynching, by way of the same
>mass incarcertion program noted above.
>
>4. The dismantling of quotas which, flawed as they might have been,
>allowed some small number of minorities an education or a job. This
>of course in the name of the free market.
>
>Yes, interracial marriage is permitted and a black man is president;
>but these pale compared to 1-4.
>
>Joanna

I'm not arguing that any of this is not happening. But it's a bipartisan policy that's been going on for decades. What does the Tea Party have to do with it?

I agree with what Michael Perelman said the other day. The loss of Pacifica is more harmful to our cause than the Tea Party. And a big part of what's gutted Pacifica is a facile concentration on racism as the go to explanation for why the right is winning.