[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Aug 19 19:54:57 PDT 2011

On 08/19/2011 12:17 PM, SA wrote:
> I don't know which programs he thinks he's referring to here, since he
> doesn't name them. But Tom Coburn is against every social welfare
> policy. I believe he has literally the most conservative voting record
> in the Senate. He wants to cut food stamps and he also wants to cut
> Medicare. He is against these programs whether they disproportionately
> benefit non-whites or not.
>
> SA

And if the elimination of these programs will cause disproportionate harm to nonwhite racial groups, he's advocating institutional racism. His personal view of the racial groups affected is irrelevant. The crucial point here is that racism is a social formation, not an idea in any one individual's head.

Miles