[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

Joanne Landy joanne.landy at igc.org
Sat Aug 20 12:45:12 PDT 2011

To bring this back to where it started, Bhaskar. You posted a message with the subject line "Are Conservatives Racist?" I then sent the list what seemed to me a clearly racist quote from a leading conservative, Senator Tom Coburn. In what seemed to me to be a kind of tone deaf response, SA allowed as how what Coburn said wasn't really racist, and others, including Doug, seemed to be saying "so what if it is?"

As I wrote before, in my view a resurgent right wing is very much a threat, and racism is an important element of the right wing's success. As far as I can see, what you are saying is that the right wing is just a flash in the pan, hyped by liberals as a way of scarifying people into supporting Obama and the Democrats again. And you also seem to be saying that while racism is unsurprisingly present among conservatives, it has no particular importance. (I agree about the scarifying bit, but disagree that downplaying the right and its racism advances the case against Obama-ism and the corporate-friendly Democrats.)

I think this discussion is kind of wearing itself out, but I would be interested in whether I am characterizing your views correctly.

As far as the "practical political" implications of all this, Stephen Steinberg has written an incisive article showing how the race issue has played a key role in the ability of both conservatives and neoliberals like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama to undermine the economic and social gains of the New Deal and the civil rights movement. Steinberg argues that leftists cannot afford to ignore this fact if they want to fight back effectively. The article is entitled "The Role of Race in the Devolution of the Left" http://logosjournal.com/2011/the-role-of-race-in-the-devolution-of-the-left/ I wonder what you think of this piece.

Joanne