[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Aug 19 20:46:17 PDT 2011

On Aug 19, 2011, at 11:12 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
> On 08/19/2011 07:20 PM, Julio Huato wrote:
>>
>> That is to be expected, because we all are a product of circumstances.
>> But if you want your effort to bear fruit, you have to be willing to
>> shed your prejudices. And it is the role of people in these movements
>> to help you set yourself straight when your prejudices get in the way.
>> These exercises in personal interaction can be very rough
>> emotionally, and if the personal commitment is not very strong, people
>> will waver and be tempted to withdraw back into their comfort zone,
>> which is obviously a painful loss for both sides.
>
> I've gone around about this with Julio before, but I feel compelled to point out that this is exactly backwards. It is not "shedding your prejudices" that will allow you to contribute to political struggles to overcome racism; <snip happens>

That may well be, but that is not what Julio wrote (above). He wrote “you have to be *willing* to shed your prejudices” (emphasis mine). It’s not clear how you missed that given the sentences that follow:

Julio: And it is the role of people in these movement to help you set yourself straight when your prejudices get in the way.

Julio: These __exercises__ …

Miles: it is __the political struggles__ that will transform individual prejudices...

—ravi