[lbo-talk] Arab Spring: The Libyan Remix

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:38:38 PDT 2011

Freedom rings in Libya, as a popular revolution defeats a horrible neoliberal dictatorship. Spontaneous celebrations are already starting in Martyr's Square (formerly Green Square), where Gaddafi's thugs murdered hundreds of protestors back in February. LibyaTV has the feed here:

http://www.libya.tv/ (Note that this is an Arabic feed only, click on the video box on the left).

I don't have the words to describe my respect and admiration for the people of Libya. They took appalling losses, especially back in March and April, when they had no army, no weapons, just sheer numbers and determination. But they fought like the lions of the desert they indeed are.

I just wish Mo Nabbous could've seen this moment. His citizen journalism from Benghazi back in February and March was absolutely crucial in telling the outside world what was really going on inside Libya. A regime sniper struck him down in March, but his wife and child will now live in a free Libya. Just incredible, to see the power and energy of ordinary people when they organize themselves.

-- DRR