[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:28:43 PDT 2011

"Nobody" claims that the "conservatives" "reduce" to racism.  Racism in the US has always been intertwined with anti-working class positions on the right. John C. Calhoun's positions don't reduce to white supremacy.  His racism "reduces' to advocating the necessity of class exploitative society.

"On February 6, 1837, Calhoun took the floor of the Senate to declare that slavery was a "positive good." Senator William Rives of Virginia earlier had referred to slavery as an evil that might become a "lesser evil" in some circumstances. Calhoun believed that conceded too much to the abolitionists: "I take higher ground. I hold that in the present state of civilization, where two races of different origin, and distinguished by color, and other physical differences, as well as intellectual, are brought together, the relation now existing in the slaveholding States between the two, is, instead of an evil, a good—-a positive good..._ I hold then, that there never has yet existed a wealthy and civilized society in which one portion of the community did not, in point of fact, live on the labor of the other."_ ( emphasis added -CB) [36] A year later in the Senate (January 10, 1838), Calhoun repeated this defense of slavery as a "positive good": "Many in the South once believed that it was a moral and political evil; that folly and delusion are gone; we see it now in its true light, and regard it as the most safe and stable basis for free institutions in the world."[37] Calhoun rejected the belief of Southern Whigs such as Henry Clay that all Americans could agree on the "opinion and feeling" that slavery was wrong, although they might disagree on the most practicable way to respond to that great wrong. Calhoun's constitutional ideas acted as a viable conservative alternative to Northern appeals to democracy, majority rule and natural rights.[38]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Calhoun