[lbo-talk] Strauss Kahn

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 06:30:37 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> I think the case would have had a very different outcome if the
> defendant were not some stinking rich/high status bastard - probably
> prosecutors would have offered some "plea bargaining" agreement in
> exchange for a more lenient sentence, as it is often the case.
> Prosecutors enjoy a wide range of discretion in these matters, no?

So you're saying that prosecutors should have plea-bargained a case that would have resulted in an exoneration had it gone to trial? That might have worked with a broke defendant with a shitty lawyer, but is that an admirable principle?

Look, I presume DSK did something nasty. But you can't run a decent criminal justice system on presumption.

Doug