[lbo-talk] Arab Spring: The Libyan Remix

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:33:26 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:13 AM, <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

> Like I said, DR's position is analogous to fantasy football. The
> team he drafted won. Pumped fists fit the mood.

Cheerleading is not my job, I've been tracking the revolution via its non-commercial citizen media, is all. Media reports, twitter feeds, video uploads, Al Jazeera coverage, Sky News has also done some superb reporting, thanks to the inimitable Alex Crawford. Only a tiny fraction of this filters into the US mainstream media, alas, which is why most Americans probably think the Arab Spring is the name of some new laundry detergent.

Let me repeat: a brutal neoliberal dictator was overthrown by a popular revolution. Outside intervention had little to do with it - the regime sent its best units to burn Misurata to the ground, and the people of Misurata demolished those units, in grim house-to-house fighting. It would've been a lot longer and bloodier without the UN intervention, is all.

-- DRR