[lbo-talk] Orientalism: the American Remix

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:53:30 PDT 2011

I respect Jeremy Scahill enormously for his take-down of Blackwater and critique of the US Terror War, but he's completely and utterly wrong about Libya:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/ns/msnbc_tv-morning_joe/#44255475

His main argument is that NATO defeated Qaddafi (not true), that the rebels are former regime bosses (not true, the young people drove this revolution), Islamists (a Rightwing smear with no evidence at all), and "tribal players" (Libya has no @$% tribes, it's a middle-income, literate, urbanized society, where people drive cars, watch TV and work in offices). This is our old friend, Orientalism, where a bunch of First Worlders drivel on about societies they can't be bothered to do a basic Google check on.

I'm beginning to think that certain US progressives hate and fear the Arab Spring as much as the US neocons do. Which makes sense, since it means the end of their Empire's rule over the Middle East.

-- DRR