[lbo-talk] Orientalism: the American Remix

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:26:50 PDT 2011

DRR: I respect Jeremy Scahill enormously for his take-down of Blackwater and critique of the US Terror War, but he's completely and utterly wrong about Libya... JG: Pray tell, DRR, what was the US (tailing the French and the British, yes) doing providing air support and special ops for a movement whose victorywill spell the "end of (the) Empire's rule over the Middle East"? Was this just an alliance of convenience that will slip beyond the control of the Westernpowers? The cunning of history? What about the deals that are being done between the new government-in-formation and the Gulf despotisms thatyou so despise? I admire you for taking such a bold (if wildly un-nuanced) stand. You're really not hedging words here. But remember this goes into the archives.I fear you may have to eat most or all of what you say.