[lbo-talk] Austerity toeheadedness

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Aug 24 18:12:26 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Coming up with a (new, complex) system to tax wealth would be counter to my position.

Whatever the shortcomings of the french system, my suggestion at the time was simply to tax wealth at a flat percentage rate across the board, at a rate to meet your budget.

I thought that at the time your objection was that it would be too difficult to ascertain, or determine 'wealth'. It was hard for me to accept that argument at the time, but decided not to pursue the argument. But like I said, if I had known about 'france' .

The thing that puzzles me is that I never hear any discussion of a flat tax on wealth. It seems to make sense.