[lbo-talk] Austerity toeheadedness

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Aug 24 18:23:30 PDT 2011

> my suggestion at the time was simply to tax wealth at a
> flat percentage rate across the board, at a rate to
> meet your budget.

The simple problem with taxing wealth is that it's an easy tax to avoid. Then you're back to square one: people at the same levels will pay different rates. Today it's on income; tomorrow it would be on wealth.

So I'm not saying your idea is bad so much as I'm saying that my idea is superior.

> The thing that puzzles me is that I never hear any discussion
> of a flat tax on wealth. It seems to make sense.

I just explained that the French system is anything but "flat" ... did you miss it?

It makes so much sense that absolutely no one does it.

/jordan