[lbo-talk] Austerity toeheadedness

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Aug 24 19:18:25 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> I just explained that the French system is anything but "flat" ... did you miss it?
>
> It makes so much sense that absolutely no one does it.

I didn't miss it, just ignored it. My suggestion seems so much simpler. Referring to 'the French system' serves mainly as bait to draw you out on the fairness aspect of wealth taxation.

I guess my next question has to be, since you claim some solid credentials in data management, how difficult would it be to track the wealth of individuals? Seems like all the information is out there. Doesn't Forbes publish a list of wealthiest? Or is that just self-reported brag? And corporate wealth should be easy.

You don't really think that it 'makes so much sense that ... no one does it' do you?

I tried to wade through the junk from that fairtax org this afternoon, and there didn't seem to be anything about the proposals that were understandable, beside the 26% sales tax. Seems like it would be so much easier to explain everybody pays the same rate - of wealth. Nothing for either side of our cultural divide to latch onto. Doesn't even need an explanation of 'if you got nothing - you pay nothing'. Seems self-evident.